Thursday, October 27, 2011

Why I'm starting this blog

Seven years ago, I came down with what I thought was a stomach virus. It lasted a day or so and I didn't think much of it until I had relapse after relapse of the same bug. I went to a couple of doctors who couldn't find anything wrong with me.

Two years later I realized that I got sickest after eating cheese and figured I was lactose intolerant. I started cutting back on dairy and my symptoms seemed to improve but never entirely disappeared.

Over the years, I started having other symptoms which I didn't connect with the upset stomach issues: I was always sore, I was tired all the time, and at times I would lose my appetite.

Two things happened in May of 2011 which caused me to pursue a gluten-free diet. I found out that gluten sensitivity runs in my family and I also had a conversation with a good friend. She sent me a link to an article about celiac disease and gluten sensitivity. I was amazed when I read the article. Almost all of my symptoms were there. Either I simultaneously had five different illnesses, or this was my answer. Immediately I cut out wheat from my diet and I have been working on finding alternatives to the foods I used to cook all the time.

Anyone who knows me realizes that the word "cheapskate" is an accurate description of my approach to buying things, food included. When I first started this learning experience, I had fears of only shopping at the health food store and never being able to socialize anywhere there was food. As an Aldi devotee, I didn't want to abandon my frugal ways.

Fortunately, so far my adventures in gluten-free eating have not caused me to miss out on good deals or an active social life. I'm still in the learning process but this isn't nearly as scary as I thought it would be. I wanted to start this blog to keep a record of my successes and failures and to hopefully help someone else going down this path.

No comments:

Post a Comment