Thursday, January 5, 2012

I'm back with further rice flour experimentation

So after a long absence related to morning/all day sickness, here I am at 13 1/2 weeks feeling much better and much more up to baking. I made some bread the other day using a recipe from Bette Hagman's book "More From the Gluten-Free Gourmet." I picked up this copy second hand from a thrift store, and it's the only one of this series that I own, but I'm seriously considering adding the rest of these books to my birthday wish list.

Anyway, my bread was delicious and I would highly recommend this recipe to anyone looking for a basic white bread without wheat flour. I think I prefer it to wheat bread, despite its taking 3 hours from start to finish and being a little more expensive than $1.19 a loaf. It's just wonderful to be able to eat an actual sandwich again.

Update on my rice flour experiment: apparently the tiny bit of moisture I had to add to my rice to enable my food processor to grind it was a bad idea. When I went to use it, I found out it had molded. So, undeterred, I did some more research and learned that a coffee grinder might be helpful in my endeavors. I asked for and received one for Christmas and so far, it has been amazing. It's a quick enough process that I can grind just enough flour at a time for my baking needs without having to store the rest.

Now that I have conquered rice flour (I hope!) I am wondering how best to go about making flour from beans...stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment