Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Christmas gifts

Two years ago I read an article about how I should be tipping not only my mail carrier at the holidays, but my local sanitation workers as well.

At this point, I had been a taxpaying adult with my very own dumpster for roughly four years. Oops. Four years in which Emily Post was hanging her head in shame at my kind.

At least I had been giving the mailman a card and gift (because I knew his name and had spoken to him on several occasions) so I was at least 33.333% polite.

As if I didn't already worry enough, the revelation opened a whole new Christmas themed field to stress about: how much should I tip the people who provide the valuable service of garbage removal each week? How about the recycling people? Cash or gift? How many of each? I think there are two men who take the trash and one who takes the recycling but I'm not entirely sure.

And the logistics: I had been leaving a small present and a card for the mailman attached to the mailbox (hopefully not a federal offense; if it is, let me know and I will repent of my criminal ways). But short of standing outside all day, how would I deliver said tip? Even I in my tipping ignorance know it would be rude (and possibly foolhardy) to tape a present to the lid of my dumpster.

Then bring in the question of money. If I'm going to do this, I want to do it right. I don't want to insult my garbage collector by being cheap but I don't want to overcompensate either.

There may be someone out there who gets all this stuff right, year after year. But I'm guessing the majority of us are just figuring it out as we go along. So instead of letting my worry control me I'll focus on what the season is really all about. Peace on earth and not anxiety. Good will and gratitude toward others and not stress over what to "get" them.

But now that I know you're supposed to tip sanitation workers, I expect a huge tip from someone for whom I provide the very important task of waste removal several times a day. She's only 16 months old but it's not too early for her to learn proper etiquette. Though I will accept a hug and kiss in lieu of cash.


No comments:

Post a Comment