Friday, October 18, 2013

On kindness



Today I watched my daughter struggle to hold open a heavy door for an adult who went through it without a thank you and without even looking at my daughter.

I was hurt for her. I wanted to apologize for the rudeness of the world. Inwardly, I raged at anyone who would ignore a child and then go on to complain about the faults of "kids these days."

Before I could say anything, however, she turned to me with a big smile on her face and said "I'm a helper."

She didn't see insensitivity or unkindness. She saw her role as not to fix the world but to shine her light into it.

I have so much to learn from her. I pray that I can let kindness be such a strong motivation that other people's indifference or unkindness fades into the background. Let me be a helper.

No comments:

Post a Comment