Saturday, October 19, 2013

This frugality lesson brought to you by Elmo



I was doing some grocery shopping this morning while waiting to pick up our Christmas pictures (who's on top of things? Yes, that's right: me!!) and came across these in the clearance bin for a quarter.

It took me a second to figure out but finally I realized they are travel toothbrush holders. Here's where my frugal self and my earth friendly self butted heads.

Earth friendly self: "You don't need these. They are plastic and cheap looking."

Frugal self: "But they're only a quarter and what will you use instead?"

Whereupon EFS shamefully admits to wrapping the bristles in toilet paper (I'm sure her kids enjoy the two-ply mixed in with their toothpaste).

So into the cart they went and I had a small epiphany that reconciled my two selves. In an ideal world wherein I would make my own sustainable toothbrush cover and/or not use a toothbrush in the first place and opt for brushing with a twig, these would be waste. But I live in the real world, where these will get used at least four times a year and might possibly last indefinitely (i.e. until my kids are too embarrassed to have Elmo in their toiletry bag).

Which brings us to the moral of this story:
No waste is nice but a lint free toothbrush is just as nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment