Sunday, April 7, 2013

Garage sale confession



Okay, garage sales. I know we've always been best friends, but I have a confession to make: lately I've been hanging out with Goodwill behind your back. Not to dismiss our longstanding friendship lightly but when is the last time you gave me a vintage bike for $6.99? Or four chairs for my kitchen for $15? Or the radio/record/phonograph for $40 (half of  which was on a gift card so I only paid $18 and tax out of pocket)?

What's that? Never?

My newest Goodwill find. If my research is accurate, this is circa 1965. Or a really good reproduction. Either way, I 'm happy.




You're right, though, I have to admit you did provide the bike for my daughter for $5. And the wallpaper that sells online for $45 a roll that I got for $5 a roll. My parents thank you daily as they enjoy the marbled effect of the paper on their not-pink-anymore counters. Let's not forget the handmade cloth diaper, complete with snaps, for a quarter. And both my daughters' wardrobes rely heavily on you.

So I admit I haven't been entirely fair to you. The cold weather made me lose my head. I promise this spring we'll get together and be as good friends as ever. If you can ever forgive me, that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment