Sunday, July 28, 2013

One word

Little Girl has one word she uses consistently, frequently, and always in context.

No, it's not Mama. That doesn't have a word. The need for Mama is indicated by a scrunched up face, half open mouth, and a cough-cry.

It's not Dada either. That particular word describes anything from her father to a random stranger to a squished blueberry on the floor.

The word she most seems to grasp is "uh-oh." She will take a piece of something (usually banana or some other hard-to-sweep-up item), deliberately hold out her hand past her high chair tray, and release, proudly looking at me while announcing "uh-oh!"

As frustrating as this can be when a 12 month old does this, I wondered today how much more frustrating it is to God when his children act in a way that's basically the adult equivalent. How many times have I thrown a banana on the floor (so to speak), and then tried to rationalize my disobedience or carelessness?

I want to be mindful in raising my kids and in living my life. I know there will be mistakes, but I want the uh-ohs to be genuine opportunities to learn and grow.



No comments:

Post a Comment