Monday, July 29, 2013

Pinterest flops

I have to remind myself frequently that Pinterest isn't magic. I feel a huge sense of accomplishment when I pin something to a board before I realize that I haven't, in fact, done anything beyond clicking a button. Then the guilt sets in as I realize I'm not likely to complete even 10% of the projects I've pinned. Plus, to me un-started projects are clutter and I can't stand that, even if it's virtual online clutter.

After a rapid succession of flops, I'm taking a short Pinterest break. The flashcards I made for Little Girl's room were straight out of my own head, thereby proving I don't need Pinterest to inspire me.


This dress looked so much better on Pinterest. In my version, the sleeves are about five inches too short and the dress itself is about 18 inches too wide. Despite the fact that I felt like I was wearing a tablecloth's worth of fabric around my legs, I cut it awkwardly short (and I'm only 5' 2"). Sadly, this is my second attempt at this same dress. I just don't learn from my mistakes. Or maybe I'm stubborn. Or both.

I might make my way back eventually. For now, though, I'm going to focus on projects like cleaning my house that have a tried and true outcome.

Edited to add: I just realized that ironically, I'm standing next to a quilt hand sewn by my great-grandmother in the early part of the 1900's. Proof that sewing does run in the family, immune though I may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment