Thursday, March 28, 2013

Why I renovate

Before I got married, I had used a hammer a couple of times. I had no idea how many different types of saws were out there. I remember being so proud of myself the first time I learned what a hex key was and how to use it. I think I used that word in a couple of conversations just to show off.

I grew up in a home where my dad did the repairs and, while I would sometimes watch and help him, it wasn't something I particularly cared about or thought would ever come in handy. I should have paid more attention but, then again, try telling that to a teenager.

We were married in 2005 and moved into our first fixer upper 18 months later, after graduation and our first "real" jobs. We were all about location at that point: wanting something close to my husband's job. Proximity to mine was important as well, but not as essential since we knew we wanted to have a family and that I would be able to stay home and raise kid(s).

That house taught me a lot about patience and ownership. I once had a month long battle with our apartment complex over whether or not they should replace or fix our dryer (that we were paying for in the terms of our lease) in the middle of January (They eventually did, although they were sadly unswayed by the documentation of my husband doing homework beneath a makeshift clothesline. Too bad because I put a ton of energy into setting up just the right shot with the perfect background lighting to soften their hardened hearts.) but I was unused to dealing with burst water pipes and electrical wiring problems myself.

Sidenote: when I say "myself" I am actually referring to my husband. I did not actually touch the plumbing and wiring, but I did watch and learn a lot. Something my teenage self wouldn't have done. See, I am constantly improving.

One thing about this house: it had a LOT of cabinets. Ask me how I know...

Removing the old tile

Bathroom pre-everything


Even though the house was pretty bad when we took ownership, the work didn't take long. Of course, there were some things that never got done. We had planned to install french doors in place of the big picture window in the living room so there would be access to the backyard other than through the garage. We wanted to install new tile in the bathroom to replace the dated, somewhat chipped, vinyl sheet flooring. But the house's value wasn't worth it, and in time, we had to move on, leaving it less than perfect but still much improved.

New tile in progress


Even after this, for some crazy reason I bought into the HGTV concept: start with a falling-down shack and in 46 minutes (allowing for commercials), you have a million-dollar mansion.

Yes, I knew they had crews of expert carpenters, painters, plumbers, and electricians. And yes, I knew from first-hand experience that it took at least two years even with our house that we bought with all the walls intact.

So why did I decide to take on another project?




Moving in weekend. Carpet and tile has already been ripped up from this room.

The Hawaiian room. My 4 year old took this picture but honestly it looks almost as good as one of mine.



Well, for one thing, I love the hardwood floors and the abundance of mature trees. But I feel sorry for houses that have potential that hasn't been fully reached yet. I want to be able to look at the before and after and know that my inspiration and hard work made that after 100% a reality. 

Plus, I already have an education in miter saws and drywall screws and it would be a shame to put that to waste.




No comments:

Post a Comment