Sunday, May 26, 2013

Memorial Day Miscellany

Okay, this has nothing to do with Memorial Day other than the alliteration but here goes. Since this blog is technically supposed to be about food, I figured I should throw in some recipes or some recipe-ish things once in awhile.

This week I made peanut butter. No, this is not particularly money saving as it takes 30 minutes (including blender washing time) and saves roughly 69 cents. But it does taste amazingly good, and for that, it's worth the 30 minutes of work. All I do is blend peanuts with a little bit of oil. No salt, no sugar. All deliciousness.

Then again, they may not be. Nothing like conviction, I always say.

Note for the gluten intolerant: Aldi peanuts do carry a warning that they MAY be cross-contaminated with wheat so proceed accordingly.

I also made this salad to go along with some GF pizzas:

No I didn't mean to drown my salad. I just get carried away with dressing sometimes.

I used to eat a salad at Fazoli's that contained ham, pepperoni, salami, cubed mozzarella and olives with balsamic vinaigrette. They have since changed the ingredients of this wonderfully good salad and I haven't been back since my first attempt at eating the new (and quite unimproved) Italian chicken salad.

This was decent. I kind of threw it together on the spur of the moment so I didn't have any olives, but I did add tomatoes, shredded Parmesan cheese, diced pepperoni, and topped with vinaigrette dressing. I think next time with the addition of some salami, olives, and possibly hard boiled eggs, I might have a winner for the summer recipe collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment