Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Books I read this month

In late April and May, I read a lot of thought provoking books (especially on our 12 hour each way car trip to visit my parents) but wanted to touch on one of them in particular. My non-fiction book was this one:

Link to this book on Amazon


This book was a memoir more than a set of rules to emulate. The author went a little over a year forgoing all beauty and fashion related products and stuck to simple hygiene (her grooming routine was similar to that of her husband). Her goal was to find true beauty within.

A lot of this book resonated with me. If anything, it was justification for those days I can't bring myself to wear makeup or go beyond a ponytail. However, I think that a lot of her experiment didn't need to be done so exclusively. I find that when I'm feeling ugly inside, I need to rethink my priorities and attitudes, not necessarily give up nail polish. I think there is room in my life for both.

I thought this was an interesting experiment, just not one I'd necessarily want to try myself.

Warning: this book is blunt and there is some profanity which caught my attention. Still a good concept for a book.

I also read this book:

Link to this book on Amazon

I really enjoyed the first of the Blossom Street series (The Shop on Blossom Street) because it's about a yarn shop and, well, let's just say I'm a little knitting obsessed. The characters were true to life and likeable. I won't review the above book in depth because there are some who haven't read it yet (hi, Mom!). It was good before bedtime reading material, though a little too reminiscent of the previous books in this series. Let's just say the first one will always remain my favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment