Friday, June 14, 2013

New clothes?

Say what you want about me: I know what I like!
I was able to go out by myself for a few hours tonight and I had the bright idea to go shopping. I have felt like my wardrobe is pretty lacking lately and while I have never enjoyed clothes shopping I thought it might be more palatable by myself.

I usually don't buy clothes for myself at places that don't contain one of the following words: thrift, resale, will, or salvation. I think the last time I actually purchased something at a "regular" store was during the Bush administration. Does it help if I specify that it was the younger Bush?

So tonight I began my great adventure. To explain the reason a cheapskate like me is shopping in a fancy schmancy store, here's the background: I have been looking for a maxi dress for quite awhile,  but since the trend is still ongoing, I haven't had much luck at secondhand stores. Making my own was quite a failure too, and I will post about that later.

I had to calm myself down to walk into the first store. Whenever I would watch What Not to Wear, I never understood the anxiety. Let's just say I learned my lesson tonight. I kept hearing Stacy and Clinton in my head, nitpicking my choices.

"Those pants are a cute pattern but they make you look three feet tall."

"A thirty year old mother of two should not wear pink pants."

Actually, I'm not sure of the rule on age to pant color relationship but my overly critical inner voice advised me against it.

Oddly enough, while there was less selection than Goodwill, I found it way more overwhelming.

Ultimately, I spent 52 cents on my evening out (on a non-clothing item at--wait for it--Goodwill!) My wardrobe will remain boring for the time being but I remain optimistic.


No comments:

Post a Comment