Thursday, August 8, 2013

Silicone caulk is not for patching drywall and other life lessons

They say you can't hide your mistakes and I've discovered that to be true. For example, if you want to patch some holes and you can't find your joint compound and instead use silicone caulk, the next owner WILL notice when she goes to paint.

Speaking purely hypothetically of course. Or not.

Hmm. So that hole I strategically covered with a piece of furniture...that paint glob that I ignored in the hopes that it wasn't glaringly obvious. Sorry about that, lady who bought our old house. You probably weren't any more happy to inherit my temporary fixes than I am at the moment with my own inherited house quirks.

As you can guess, I've just finished scraping bunches of silicone caulk out from behind the trim in our dining room. It's tough stuff. Which is why I have yet to put any color on the walls even though I have been "in the process of painting" for the past two weeks.

Also slowing me down has been the archway. It was incorrectly installed and the part where the bottom of the arch joins the doorframe (I don't know technical terms here) sticks out about half an inch past the doorframe instead of being flush. I have called upon my artistic skills to camouflage the discrepancy until we can actually fix it.

Weird bumpy area looking 10 times better already


Working in 15 minute bursts as I find the time, I have finished rough sanding everything. I just need to go over it with a fine sanding sponge and then (hallelujah chorus!) I will be ready to change my bright orange-with-drywall-splotch-white-accents to blue.

Also...some updates from my July projects. I was on vacation when I blogged about my flowers and when I returned home I realized that they had died in my absence. In keeping up with my goals for the month, I also tried to make some coconut milk shampoo but failed for two reasons:

a. I used the wrong soap base
b. I used the wrong type of coconut milk

Considering there are only three ingredients, there was a pretty high chance this recipe was doomed from the start. However, I bought the right stuff earlier this week and hope to mix up a batch soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment