Thursday, April 3, 2014

Day 90: My community closet


Yesterday I delightedly unpacked a container of my spring and summer clothes. Some of them were remnants of last year and many were newly gleaned from garage sales and Goodwill end-of- or post-season.

I started thinking about other perks of buying secondhand other than the obvious monetary savings.

First, you weed out a whole lot of throwaway clothes simply by virtue of them having made it past their first owners. Obviously, this isn't foolproof, as something may be in pristine condition just because the buyer didn't wear it or only wore it once. However, quality construction shows after a few washings.

Second, the clothes have a history. While this may be a turn-away point for some, it's actually an attraction for me. I'm part of a group where people in my community can post clothes for sale. Think Craigslist on a much smaller scale. Though much of our "interaction" is done through internet messages and we might never meet face to face (for security reasons, many use the honor system for pick up) I feel like I've had a small, albeit temporary connection with someone in my community. I've even had "size buddies" give me a heads-up when they clean their closets.

Some may be on a first name basis with Ann Taylor or Ralph Lauren (or even Good Will) but I much prefer my skirt by "Jessica on Main Street"* and my shoes by "Carmen at 15th and Maple." Keeping it local is the way to go.

*Names and places made up off the top of my head

No comments:

Post a Comment