Friday, April 4, 2014

Day 91: A Compact update

(Not a pear tree.) But I don't have a pear tree handy to take a picture. Good thing, since they make me sneeze.


Three months into The Compact (a movement to buy nothing new) and still going strong! So far, I have bought new:

Two area rugs (made in USA)
A toilet cap thingy to keep sewer gas out of our house
Underclothes for various members of the household
A roller shade that had to be an exact width (I was on a time budget or I might have been able to find the needed size at Goodwill or a garage sale eventually)
Some pieces of pipe
Two pillows for houseguests (our current ones are flat enough to make patio seat cushions)
Mistint mark-down paint (astonishingly I couldn't find quite the right shade in my abundant personal paint closet)
A magazine for a last minute gift

And a partridge in a pear tree

Actually, now that I look at that list, maybe I'm not as strong as I thought. But hey, it could be worse. Over half those things are home improvement related and not clothes, books, and knickknacks, which I knew would be personal problem areas when joining The Compact.

I've had several kids stop by, peddling wares for various school and scouting fundraisers. I offered to make a cash donation instead, and only one time I was turned down.

Could I have done better overall? Maybe. I'm not sure what I would change. My exceptions were made with the spirit of the experiment in mind, rather than an unwavering conviction at all costs.

But I have no excuse for the partridge in a pear tree. At least it's sustainable.

No comments:

Post a Comment