Thursday, March 6, 2014

Day 62: The books I didn't read in high school

These aren't the ones. These are just some of the books I grabbed off my library's "featured books" shelf. The library staff puts some favorites up on display each month.


Tonight I was having a conversation with my husband about a friend of ours who has a Masters degree in Russian.

"I wonder if she has read War and Peace in the original language?" I wondered. "I don't know many people who have read it in English."

Whereupon, I began compiling the following list of Great Works I Haven't Read:

1. War and Peace
2. Anything by Shakespeare other than Macbeth and a few sonnets
3. Anything by Hemingway
4. Jane Eyre
5. The last 15/16ths of Moby Dick
6. The Grapes of Wrath
7. The Great Gatsby
8. Gone with the Wind
9. Animal Farm
10. Lord of the Rings and/or Flies

I did read a lot in high school. I promise. My mom, in both her teacher and passionate reader roles, made sure she raised well-read students. In fact, one year of my home school curriculum was based on great books. I read classics like Up From Slavery, The Law, Little Women, Pride and Prejudice, and A Tale of Two Cities. Apparently no matter how well read one is, there are only so many "must read" books that can be squeezed into high school without neglecting one's studies of chemical reactions and geometry.

So, it seems it's high time for me to catch up on some reading since I've left behind the rigors of algebra and biology lo these many (14-18) years ago. Readers, any classics I shouldn't miss?

No comments:

Post a Comment