Monday, January 20, 2014

Days 11-:17 This week I'm... (Jan 14th-


--Looking for just the right pair of jeans to supplement my meager stash. Four pairs just doesn't work I've learned, when I'm too distracted to do laundry on a regular basis and the pair of jeans desperately in need of hemming always turns up in the rotation on the most snowy, puddly days.

I guess I could just hem them. I'm pretty sure I'm done growing. I keep thinking I can always wear them with heels.

Right. While carrying an 18 month old, a diaper bag, a purse, and anything else I need to take along with me on a given day.

Anyway, another pair of jeans is on my short list. I'm noticing something weird, though. The more I declutter and focus on really appreciating what I own, the less I want to just throw away money --even $5--on something "sort of okay." If I'm going to only own five pairs of pants, I want them to be the most awesome five pairs of pants known to man.

--Procrastinating less since I'm not buying any craft supplies I can't get used and getting down to that pile I've had sitting around for awhile. The clock above is one I made for Little Girl's room.

I had an old clock from a certain big box store that sells tires and kale under the same roof. I bought it years ago for a couple of bucks just because I needed something to tell time. It was super ugly but functional, so I kept it.

(Side note: Being a compacter is great but being a compacter with a consumer past is helpful too. Provides raw materials.)

--Celebrating that I found a floor lamp for the living room! I took some donations to Goodwill and happened to spot the perfect one. I was really close to just caving and buying a new one but I'm glad I didn't.



--Hanging some black and white photos above that couch pictured above. Note to self: When ordering prints that go two to a frame, make sure one isn't horizontal layout and the other vertical. I now have a nice Easter picture of us all lying down. Oops. Ah, well. Life lessons...

--Trying to spend five minutes a day unsubscribing from all the email lists I have somehow been added to over the years. They all want me to buy, buy, buy! Unless you're Goodwill, it's not happening. Even then, I'll have to think long and hard first.

--Sewing leggings for Little Girl from some outgrown ones of Big Girl's. It hit me that they are essentially the same waist size (after factoring in the cloth diaper bum) when I accidentally dressed LG in BG's size 4 clothes one day and didn't notice for an embarrassingly long time. No wonder they were dragging...

I cut about an inch off the side of each leg and about five inches off the bottoms.


Size 24 month polka dot pants to use as a guide.



Why yes, I do use red thread if it's what's already in the machine...

--Enjoying my first "eat out" meal in two weeks. In an effort to de-clutter my life, I was ruthless with the pantry as well and tried to make meals from what I already owned. I spent $15 more on groceries each week but it was worth it in the long run. Bonus: no cross contamination stomachaches.

--Buying new wisely. I used some Christmas money to purchase bike helmets for both girls. This is an area where I would rather not purchase used unless I know the history and/or previous owner. I'm not super paranoid but I don't want to stick to my convictions at all costs if the risk isn't worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment