Monday, January 27, 2014

Days 18-24: The endless winter

Day 18: I just got an email stating that I'm in the top 13% of savers at CVS Pharmacy. Does this mean I'm also in the top 13% of spenders? I'm not sure if I should be proud of this or not. I must say that I buy consumable items (milk, some groceries if it's an excellent deal, and shampoo/soap/etc**.) but sometimes having that coupon tricks me into a false sense of savings.

**I tried making my own but it went terribly, terribly wrong. My daughter has a greasy haired kindergarten picture in the yearbook to prove it.

I do plan to cut back this year though. I think I have enough toiletries to get through any natural disaster with plenty to spare for donations. In fact, this is after donating tons last year.




Day 19: I had a dream that under the guise of buying toilet paper or some such thing, I wandered into a forbidden area of a department store. Before I came to my senses, I was about to purchase seven candles. Candles? Ummm...I don't buy candles. I'm a girl in biology only. (And okay, emotionally as well.) Needless to say, this was a completely unnerving dream on many levels. Apparently, my desire to buy is being tested subconsciously. Oh, and there was no symbolic meaning to the number of candles other than the fact that I think they were $5 for seven.

Day 19 (later): Despite my well stocked toiletries cabinet, I ran out of Bandaids. It was 10 p.m. and I wasn't about to go to the store. I folded up a square of tissue and used tape to attach it to my finger.

Day 20: Grocery store ads are starting to lure me in with tempting deals. Must...buy...cheap...tilapia...

Day 21: Two-hour delays becoming commonplace. The slow pace this morning provided ample time to discuss DNA and state capitals. Both subjects came up naturally in conversation. I struggle with being a source of education for my kids and overloading them with random facts they aren't ready to understand.

To offset these scholastic endeavors, there was also plenty of time for puzzle making.



Called about a fee I was charged due to a mistake (mine) and got it waived. A little politeness, can't-hurt-to-ask attitude, and three minutes saved $25.

Cooked a company worthy meal without grocery shopping. All ingredients located in pantry and freezer. Feeling humbled and blessed by how rich I am.

Day 22: My husband ripped out a wall in our bathroom with his bare hands, then told me to come document his accomplishment. It looks so much more roomy now, but that will quickly change when we start putting fixtures back in.



He also bought me a brand new ice scraper/brush. In that it was (a): a gift and (b): purchased with a gift card, does that count against me?

Day 23: A tropical day! High 30's without much wind. I went for a walk and felt my mood immensely improved. Exercise and fresh air= a free cure for feeling a little down in the dumps.

Day 24: Sunshine again today but bitterly cold. How many days until February? Trying to count my blessings anyway: warmth, family, plenty of resources, and love.


No comments:

Post a Comment