Sunday, February 2, 2014

Day 30: Why I go to the grocery store more often

I've started doing something completely contradictory to most frugal advice: I go to the grocery store twice a week.

Here's what had been happening lately:

Make a list for the week
Attempt to shop for the entire week
Come home, fill the fridge to capacity, thereby accidentally hiding the highly perishable in the back and forgetting it (cilantro, I'm looking at you)
Start to make dinner one night and realize I forgot to buy something central to a recipe (say, beef for beef stroganoff)
Have to go back to the store anyway (often last minute)

So if you can't beat it, might as well work with it. For the next few weeks at least, I'm going to remind myself that I'm not traveling the Oregon Trail in a covered wagon and I do have several grocery options highly accessible. For the most part, I batch errands, but in these days where the endless cycle of wake up-breakfast-playtime-errands-naptime-playtime-dinner consumes my days, I just don't have the ability to shop only on one marathon day. So I'll combine one grocery run with a trip to the library and another with a trip to the bank/post office/playgroup.

Also, if I'm only thinking a few days out, I won't be as tempted to overbuy.

Bonus: no more slimy cilantro languishing in the back of the crisper piled under the green beans and grapefruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment