Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Days 36-39: 10 things I'm thankful for



1. Goodwill, just when I thought you couldn't get better, you go and introduce racks sorted by size!! You just saved me twenty minutes each visit plus untold frustration...when I find that perfect thing...in the wrong size...

2. Not one, but TWO friends who invited me to a get together and prepared a special gluten free dish. And I'm not talking about making something naturally gluten free. No, I'm talking about cherry cobbler...and pizza. Yum!

3. Our neighbor who plows three house lengths of street whenever the snow gets bad. Around here, that means pretty much twice a week. He's due for some homemade cookies ;-)

4. The library. Yesterday in a sermon, one of our ministers recommended a book by saying he "wasn't disappointed in the eight dollars he spent." I had already planned to look and see if the library offered the book. If not, maybe if enough of us want to read it, we could chip in a dollar each and buy it from half.com and share it.

5. Sell by date meat. I happened to be in the right place at the right time and scored ground beef for a fantastic deal. Some went into dinner that night and the rest got frozen.

6. My broken dishwasher. Yes, really. Because if it's not in the sink, it's in the cabinet. Nothing like knowing where all your dishes are, especially if you don't have a lot.

7. Cloth diapers. I've sung their praises before, but since I currently have a 19 month old fascinated with the toilet, it's time to invest in some trainers. Old diapers can be resold or passed along to someone in need with no waste.

8. Hand me downs. Let's face it, the United States is not facing a huge shortage of girls' clothes. Some of the clothes currently in my daughter's closet are on their third wearer (at least since I picked them up at the consignment shop or received them in a huge trash bag from someone cleaning out their closets). Who knows how many kids wore them previously.

9. The internet. I really admire the author of the Tightwad Gazette. She had to be frugal pre-Freecycle, pre-Craigslist, pre-Facebook garage sale pages. In some ways, I think the internet makes life harder by raising expectations, in many ways, it's an enabler for us cheapskates. Though some of the excitement goes out of it when I can search for "used brown rainboots size 10" and find seven pairs in ten seconds. Pre-internet, there was an element of surprise. Sure, those rainboots might turn up for cheap, but what would they look like?

10. My family, love, etc. All the traditional stuff. I had to put that in there somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment