Saturday, February 15, 2014

Day 43: Who's selling your product?

I fight against character licensing regularly. I don't care so much if my kids' clothes have pictures of Dora on them. In fact, I found a very nice Dora T-shirt at Goodwill when Big Girl was going through her phase. I had a Miss Piggy shirt when I was three. So it's not that I'm violently opposed to characters in all shapes and venues.

The blatant marketing to kids is what bothers me. I just want my kids to grow up knowing they can buy CVS brand toothpaste or Dollar Tree shampoo (or use baking soda/Dr. Bronner's!) without their quality of life suffering.

Besides, sometimes the marketing just doesn't make sense!

Is a character from a movie called "Tangled" really the best choice for marketing your no-snarl shampoo??

No comments:

Post a Comment