Thursday, February 13, 2014

Days 40-41: the spice of life

Or maybe the spice of blandness. After all, these have been in the spice rack since the day I opened them at my wedding shower...8 1/2 years ago.


As you might be able to surmise, I spent an afternoon cleaning out the kitchen, including the painstaking job of washing and re-labeling spice jars. I tossed a bunch of coriander that never got opened and refilled the jar with seasoned salt. A much better use of counter space, I must say.

I also pared down my kitchen utensils to what I actually use. I had a collection of vintage kitchen items, some of which I actually use. A lot of them, though, just took up space. My parents led the way by cleaning out their kitchen to the essentials. It's a joy to help cook at their house because what you need isn't buried under what you don't. I'm hoping for the same experience myself.

We were down to one car (again) for the last couple of days. I'm envious of those who can live with one car (or none!) Our area is just not walkable, though. The closest grocery store is about a mile and a half and there is no sidewalk. That grocery store is super expensive, too, so I'm not sure if it would even out in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment