Friday, February 7, 2014

Day 35: I thought this would be a piece of cake

Gluten free of course. And make that vanilla, not chocolate.



I figured sticking to The Compact would be no big deal. After all, I never thought of myself as much of a consumer/shopper.

Boy, how wrong I was.

Yesterday, I went to sort clothes for the thrift store and (as part of our volunteer "duty", felt compelled to shop). In two hours I considered purchasing (and ultimately rejected because I had no cash) the following items:

New with tags Colts jacket.

A set of Corelle dishware in a pattern that matches six cups I already own.

A rug designed for playing cars

A pure wool sweater that didn't make the cut and was therefore being "baled" (after reading Overdressed, I vaguely know what this means). I wanted to unravel it for wool yarn, by the way. Or wear it to an Ugly Christmas Sweater party (after mending the giant hole, that is.)

A couple pairs of shoes in the kids' sizes

At one point, I wondered if the friend I was with wondered "Doesn't she do anything but shop?"

Honestly, I do more than I realized. Although since I am not buying new, it does become more of a process to shop. Look at ten items before buying one. Reject most of it but always have your eyes open because Christmas comes sooner than you realize and Walmart and Amazon aren't there to bail you out (in my pretend world at least).

But I really do find it harder than I thought to give up the thrill of the hunt. Which probably explains why I am super excited about the fantastic deal I can score on toilet paper at CVS tomorrow.

In the meantime, instead of shopping, maybe I'll bake a cake.




No comments:

Post a Comment